Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Ovid
Date:
February 6, 2013 16:28
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
CA+M4CHtto8haahxjERm6odj2G-831uOHq=2jeCmBCmru8jGqiA@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Peter Rabbitson <rabbit-p5p@rabbit.us>wrote:

> Because for one "Perl5" is the specification of this "Perl with OO"
> thingy. Additionally by keeping *some* reference to 5, you appease
> backwards compatibility fascist like me ;)
>
> But I guess before jumping up in arms about this - can you outline your
> *entire* proposal for "getting rid of 5" ? Maybe if it goes out to a
> wider audience, something workable may indeed emerge.

Peter, I can't outline an entire proposal primarily because I'm just trying
to get this discussion started and even I'm not sold on my own suggestion,
though I lean that way :)

Much of the problem is that damned "5" which has been hanging out there for
years, along with the "6" which is coming after. There's simply no way to
cleanly separate those in the minds of most people (even Perl devs).

If we change the versioning to "Perl5 v$version", that's sidestepping the
perception issue and I suspect it will leave people with same impression of
"Perl5" as they currently have of "Perl 5".

Cheers,
Ovid