Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Peter Rabbitson
Date:
February 6, 2013 16:19
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
20130206161857.GB15191@rabbit.us
On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 05:14:35PM +0100, Ovid wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I think this is a sane solution. Make it clear that Perl 5.14.2 is
> > actually Perl5 v14.2, which for all intents and purposes is the case.
> >
> > cheers
> > Yves
> >

> I've been responding privately to a couple of folks to avoid making too
> many waves, but since this proposal is coming up a few times: I think we
> need to get rid of "5". That's the conceptual issue that people have and
> that they've hammered me with at FOSDEM, Linux Conf, OSCON and elsewhere.
> While I agree that "Perl5 v14.2" is better than what we currently have, I
> would love to see us bold enough to ditch the "5" altogether. Plenty of
> confusion would go away.
>
> We don't need to step on Perl 6 to do this, but why should we forever have
> the scarlet number 5 hanging around our neck?

Because for one "Perl5" is the specification of this "Perl with OO"
thingy. Additionally by keeping *some* reference to 5, you appease
backwards compatibility fascist like me ;)

But I guess before jumping up in arms about this - can you outline your
*entire* proposal for "getting rid of 5" ? Maybe if it goes out to a
wider audience, something workable may indeed emerge.