Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Ovid
Date:
February 6, 2013 16:15
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
CA+M4CHsBMkCaraP1HyaVh8uHW7mysD55XUcHuLjHBoPtM9BjGA@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is a sane solution. Make it clear that Perl 5.14.2 is
> actually Perl5 v14.2, which for all intents and purposes is the case.
>
> cheers
> Yves

I've been responding privately to a couple of folks to avoid making too
many waves, but since this proposal is coming up a few times: I think we
need to get rid of "5". That's the conceptual issue that people have and
that they've hammered me with at FOSDEM, Linux Conf, OSCON and elsewhere.
While I agree that "Perl5 v14.2" is better than what we currently have, I
would love to see us bold enough to ditch the "5" altogether. Plenty of
confusion would go away.

We don't need to step on Perl 6 to do this, but why should we forever have
the scarlet number 5 hanging around our neck?

Cheers,
Ovid