develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2013

Re: [perl #72710] perl.pod description of perl is horribly dated

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
January 29, 2013 15:53
Re: [perl #72710] perl.pod description of perl is horribly dated
Message ID:
20130129155319.GA28521@cancer.codesimply.com
* James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2013-01-28T21:46:54]
> I like it, with only one question:  Should we continue to be so
> Unix-specific in this line:
>
> #####
> +B<awk>, and B<sh>,  making it familiar and easy to use for Unix users to
> #####

I thought about that myself, but I think it is accurate, fair, and unoffensive.
Users of sed, awk, and sh will be almost perforce Unix users.  Perl was
clearly inspired in large part by these tools, and it it easy to move from awk
and sh to Perl in a non-coincidental way.  It makes Perl especially easy for
Unix users (or at least "power users," these days) to take what they know from
other toolkit pieces and come to Perl.

I thought about adding similar language relating to users coming to Perl from
Ruby or JavaScript and finding similar regular expressions or common data
types, but did not write anything.

--
rjbs