develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2013

[perl #24689] Confused regex parsing

From:
Karl Williamson via RT
Date:
January 26, 2013 17:42
Subject:
[perl #24689] Confused regex parsing
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-27190-1359222148-22.24689-15-0@perl.org
On Tue May 18 14:07:44 2010, chorny wrote:
> Same cryptic error on 5.12.0.
>
> On Fri Aug 15 05:06:11 2003, abigail@abigail.nl wrote:
> >
> >     $ perl -wle '($a, $b) =~ (0, 0)'
> >     Too many arguments for regexp internal reset at -e line 1, at EOF
> >

> > This message is confusing because perldiag doesn't mention
> > 'internal reset'. In fact, I don't think an 'internal reset'
> > is documented anywhere in the documentation.
> >
> > Perldiag lists it under:
> >
> >     =item Too many arguments for %s
> >
> >     (F) The function requires fewer arguments than you specified.
> >
> > which is a generic entry, with an explaination that doesn't add
> > much value.
>
> Discussion here: http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=24689

These no longer generate these error messages.  Is there any reason to
keep this ticket open?

--
Karl Williamson

---