develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2013

Re: [perl #116483] migrate t/ from custom TAP generation

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
January 22, 2013 18:59
Re: [perl #116483] migrate t/ from custom TAP generation
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.2.02.1301221346040.15664@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, demerphq wrote:

> On 21 January 2013 17:10, Ricardo SIGNES <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> > # New Ticket Created by  Ricardo SIGNES
> > # Please include the string:  [perl #116483]
> > # in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue.
> >

> > Many tests below ./t still generate TAP by "hand", rather than using library
> > functions. As explained in perlhack/TESTING, tests in ./t are written in a
> > particular way to test that more complex constructions actually work before
> > using them routinely. Hence they don't use Test::More, but instead there is an
> > intentionally simpler library, ./t/test.pl. However, quite a few tests in ./t
> > have not been refactored to use it. Refactoring any of these tests, one at a
> > time, is a useful thing TODO.
> >
> > The subdirectories base, cmd and comp, which contain the most basic tests,
> > **must** be excluded from this task.
> >
> Also probably tests in t/re.
>
> A lot of the test infrastructure uses regexes to do its tests. At one
> point we were really anal about this for regexps.

My recollection is that regex files were often the ones most likely to run
into compiler or optimization problems, and the minitest results on the
regexp tests were often quite helpful in diagnosing and avoiding the
problem.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu