develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2013

[perl #116483] migrate t/ from custom TAP generation

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
January 21, 2013 20:50
Subject:
[perl #116483] migrate t/ from custom TAP generation
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-4370-1358801451-149.116483-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Jan 21 08:10:36 2013, rjbs wrote:

> Many tests below ./t still generate TAP by "hand", rather than using
> library
> functions. As explained in perlhack/TESTING, tests in ./t are written
> in a
> particular way to test that more complex constructions actually work
> before
> using them routinely. Hence they don't use Test::More, but instead
> there is an
> intentionally simpler library, ./t/test.pl. However, quite a few tests
> in ./t
> have not been refactored to use it. Refactoring any of these tests,
> one at a
> time, is a useful thing TODO.
>
> The subdirectories base, cmd and comp, which contain the most basic
> tests,
> **must** be excluded from this task.

Also, we have determined that certain tests formerly in t/op use
functionality presumed to work by t/test.pl.  A couple of months back,
we moved them to t/opbasic, so they, too, are excluded from this task.

I would be happy to assist anyone who takes on part of this task with
the associated task of writing of descriptions for tests lacking them --
something we began at the St Louis Perl Hackathon in November and have
been plugging away at since.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---