develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2013

[perl #30553] File::Glob behaviour using GLOB_BRACE | GLOB_NOCHECK

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
January 15, 2013 02:50
Subject:
[perl #30553] File::Glob behaviour using GLOB_BRACE | GLOB_NOCHECK
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-4370-1358218212-1135.30553-15-0@perl.org
On Sat Sep 29 19:06:01 2012, jkeenan wrote:
> On Thu Jul 01 03:59:50 2004, j.g.karssenberg@student.utwente.nl wrote:
> >
> > This is a bug report for perl from pardus@cpan,
> > generated with the help of perlbug 1.34 running under perl v5.8.2.

> > [Please enter your report here]
> >
> > The following script:
> >
> >   use File::Glob ':glob';
> >
> >   my @test = (
> >     '{random string}',
> >     '\\{random string\\}',
> >     '{random,string}'
> >   );
> >
> >   for (@test) {
> >     print "glob: $_ ==> ";
> >     print join ', ', bsd_glob($_, GLOB_BRACE | GLOB_NOCHECK);
> >     print "\n";
> >   }
> >
> > Produces the following output:
> >
> >   glob: {random string} ==> random string
> >   glob: \{random string\} ==> \random string\
> >   glob: {random,string} ==> random, string
> >
> > I believe this to be wrong, because since I have no file called 'random
> > string' and the GLOB_NOCHECK option is in effect the _original_ pattern
> > should be returned. But I realise some people might consider it a
> > feature. The point is that it results in unexpected behaviour, I
> > understand how this "expansion" happens, but I'm afraid my users will
> > not.
> >
> > I noticed a similar behaviour in bash ( suggesting that this is a
> > feature of the underlying C-library (?) ) but there it only happens when
> > there is at least one ',' between the braces. This is an arbitrary rule,
> > but feels all ready more heuristic then the current behaviour of
> > File::Glob.
> >
> > Please let me know if this is considered a feature instead of a bug, in
> > that case I will write a high-level wrapper/workaround and put it on
> > cpan as a subclass of File::Glob.
> >

> There was a fair amount of back-and-forth about this eight years ago.
> My sense from Rafael's comments is that he thought no change from
> current behavior was needed.
>
> Is there anyone who could review the issues and make a recommendation
> either for a behavior change, for a documentation change or for closing
> the ticket?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

Since there has been no response since September, I am closing the ticket.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open