develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2013

Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or-DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?

From:
bulk88
Date:
January 14, 2013 16:17
Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or-DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?
Message ID:
BLU0-SMTP71241319743562BD3493E6DF2E0@phx.gbl
Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 07:46:11AM -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>> On Monday-201301-14 7:35, Dave Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Darn.  Foiled by my own former myself.  Do I get a prize?
>
> A booby prize?
>
>>> which implies that SWIG at least does (or did) modify the vtable.
>
> Check whether SWIG still does this? And if so, submit a patch? :-)
>
> Not being a SWIG user, I don't know, and I have no itch to fix it.
> (Nor am I even sure of the way to report bugs/send fixes to SWIG)
>
> Nicholas Clark

I've noticed Perl keeps alot of non-public non-null vtables in RW memory
(PL_ppaddr, PL_check, PL_csighandlerp, PL_runops_std, PL_runops_dbg,
PL_vtbl_sv, (all the other magic vtables too), perlhost vtables, perlio
layer vtables. Less of these would be good (more memory shared between
perl processes) if nothing is known to change the vtables at runtime
(cpan, etc).