develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2013

Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
January 12, 2013 19:04
Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?
Message ID:
50F1B395.1080106@khwilliamson.com
On 11/30/2012 08:42 PM, George Greer wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

>>> I recently added PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (and PERL_OLD_COPY_ON_WRITE) to my
>>> non-quick smokers but I just thought of a way to add
>>> PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE too without causing too much extra build time
>>> so I'll do that too.
>>>

>> Thanks!  (And to Tony Cook, too.)
>
> PGSP builds fine under clang but fails building under g++ because
> Perl_get_vtbl() returns 'MGVTBL*' instead of 'const MGVTBL*'.  That's
> marked as public API so I'll not change it.

Wouldn't it be better to change the API for C++ builds only?  It seems
to me to be better to have a changed API than to not build at all.