develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2012

Re: [perl #115910] New copy-on-write breaks CPAN

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
December 19, 2012 13:12
Re: [perl #115910] New copy-on-write breaks CPAN
Message ID:
CAHhgV8hJxwovETk7mQUp6paUKin9c_m6m2OQZWpdXgN559o+jQ@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Andreas Koenig
<andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de> wrote:
>> That isn't making any sense. I'd say either the bisect is wrong or the
>> refactoring FC did is strangely broken, I suspect the former. Do you
>> have a test report at hand? FC: can you take a look at this?
>
> http://www.cpantesters.org/cpan/report/26634729
> http://www.cpantesters.org/cpan/report/26634753

Thank you, that clarifies everything. I'm somewhat horrified I didn't
have an explicit test for this, if it wasn't for Test::NoWarnings we
wouldn't have noticed something was broken bad.

My module makes the assumption that s/a/b/g does not reallocate the
buffer that is substituted. It seems the COW logic on s/// breaks that
assumption. This reallocation breaks writing to memory mappings in
general (and probably other modules that own their own buffers too).

Leon