develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2012

Re: RFC: Removing several undocumented functions from the Perl core

From:
demerphq
Date:
December 4, 2012 07:54
Re: RFC: Removing several undocumented functions from the Perl core
Message ID:
CANgJU+UHZ0=SDVjL_jfT-nPYbWQE6EqHK2yP+jqDh1ni8M+3yw@mail.gmail.com
On 3 December 2012 18:34, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>> The problem, unless I don't understand things, is that in order for the
>> macros to be globally available, the functions they call need to be declared
>> in embed.fnc as "A" which I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) is the
>> only way for the function to be accessible outside PERL_CORE/PERL_EXT, and
>> that means the function is considered to be part of the public API.  I did
>> change this some time ago so that an undocumented "A" function that was
>> marked with "M" for "may change", is not listed at all in perlapi.  I have a
>> smoke going that includes a patch to do this for all the handy.h adjunct
>> functions.
>
> There's the X option that allows a function to be exported even when
> it isn't API.
>
>> Perhaps people familiar with the other functions that are listed in perlapi
>> as undocumented could check to see if they should be removed from the public
>> list by marking them as "M".
>
> My favorite to remove would be hv_common. It's exposing too much of
> the current implementation, making it almost impossible to refactor
> it. Not to say noone does useful things with it, but what we really
> need IMO would be *_flags functions in a few places.

FWIW I would scream bloody murder if you did that. The official API is
too stupid to not expose hv_common().

Yves