develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2012

Re: RFC: Removing several undocumented functions from the Perl core

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
December 4, 2012 00:54
Re: RFC: Removing several undocumented functions from the Perl core
Message ID:
50BD4966.4010208@khwilliamson.com
On 12/03/2012 10:34 AM, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>> The problem, unless I don't understand things, is that in order for the
>> macros to be globally available, the functions they call need to be declared
>> in embed.fnc as "A" which I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) is the
>> only way for the function to be accessible outside PERL_CORE/PERL_EXT, and
>> that means the function is considered to be part of the public API.  I did
>> change this some time ago so that an undocumented "A" function that was
>> marked with "M" for "may change", is not listed at all in perlapi.  I have a
>> smoke going that includes a patch to do this for all the handy.h adjunct
>> functions.
>
> There's the X option that allows a function to be exported even when
> it isn't API.

But this option only defines the function when PERL_CORE or PERL_EXT is
defined, thus it isn't good enough for these macros.