develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2012

Re: RFC: Removing several undocumented functions from the Perl core

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
December 3, 2012 17:34
Re: RFC: Removing several undocumented functions from the Perl core
Message ID:
CAHhgV8i7mXvSMb0sV0wBFstoqfwAj_B1mifTrJRwFs5DJRDFqQ@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
> The problem, unless I don't understand things, is that in order for the
> macros to be globally available, the functions they call need to be declared
> in embed.fnc as "A" which I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) is the
> only way for the function to be accessible outside PERL_CORE/PERL_EXT, and
> that means the function is considered to be part of the public API.  I did
> change this some time ago so that an undocumented "A" function that was
> marked with "M" for "may change", is not listed at all in perlapi.  I have a
> smoke going that includes a patch to do this for all the handy.h adjunct
> functions.

There's the X option that allows a function to be exported even when
it isn't API.

> Perhaps people familiar with the other functions that are listed in perlapi
> as undocumented could check to see if they should be removed from the public
> list by marking them as "M".

My favorite to remove would be hv_common. It's exposing too much of
the current implementation, making it almost impossible to refactor
it. Not to say noone does useful things with it, but what we really
need IMO would be *_flags functions in a few places.

Leon