develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2012

Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
December 3, 2012 14:35
Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?
Message ID:
50BCB8A1.10504@iki.fi

> I get the same failures with or without ithreads. I have a nasty suspicion
> that -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE may always only have actually have worked
> due to the nasal daemons being lethargic. :-(

Well, I am pretty certain that in Symbian it did work 100%, because if
it hadn't, the executable would not have run in Symbian, which it did.
And here I define "work" as what the Symbian link discipline required:
no global writable data allowed, none.  And how it was done was that
the main() held all the roots, through which all data was accessed.

What might be going on is that Symbian did not use/need all the same
global data that the Linux uses/needs, and some therefore escaped.

The nm trick is the best one I know of, and that what I used back then
to develop/debug my code (since the Symbian development environment was
pretty much compile-and-link only).

> I'm really not sure how to fix it. Careful special casing of all the
> bootstrap/teardown code that has to run before the private global structure
> is allocated, and after it is deallocated?

By definition no variables (as in Perl variables) can exist before the
global structure, and no variables can exist after.