develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2012

Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or-DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?

From:
George Greer
Date:
December 1, 2012 03:42
Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or-DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?
Message ID:
alpine.LFD.2.02.1211302136180.23348@ein.m-l.org
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> On Sunday-201211-25 22:38, George Greer wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I wonder if any one the numerous Perl smokes is building with
>>> -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT, or even more hardcore,
>>> -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE?  They were originally conceived for the
>>> Symbian port, they hide/remove all global data symbols (global
>>> variables), turning the embeddability to eleven and twelve, if you
>>> will.  (If compile barfs, needs more dVAR: see perlguts for more
>>> information.)
>>
>> I recently added PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (and PERL_OLD_COPY_ON_WRITE) to my
>> non-quick smokers but I just thought of a way to add
>> PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE too without causing too much extra build time
>> so I'll do that too.
>>

> Thanks!  (And to Tony Cook, too.)

PGSP builds fine under clang but fails building under g++ because
Perl_get_vtbl() returns 'MGVTBL*' instead of 'const MGVTBL*'.  That's
marked as public API so I'll not change it.

Test failures

t/porting/globvar.t:
not ok 1 - Attempting to export 'PL_Vars' which is never defined
# Failed test 1 - Attempting to export 'PL_Vars' which is never defined at t/porting/globvar.t line 61
not ok 2 - Attempting to export 'PL_VarsPtr' which is never defined
# Failed test 2 - Attempting to export 'PL_VarsPtr' which is never defined at t/porting/globvar.t line 61

--
George Greer