develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2012

Re: RFC: Removing several undocumented functions from the Perl core

From:
bulk88
Date:
November 28, 2012 08:24
Re: RFC: Removing several undocumented functions from the Perl core
Message ID:
BLU0-SMTP180E06DC1364DA8BA607095DF5D0@phx.gbl
Steve Peters wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Karl Williamson
> <public@khwilliamson.com <mailto:public@khwilliamson.com>> wrote:
>     returned 16 results.  None of them look like they are actually using
>     these functions except as compatibility measures.
>
>     I propose removing them.
>

> Removing them is decently risky.  I can't say we exactly know what the
> blackpan is doing with them.  Things that are deprecated in the API are
> supposed to be moved to mathoms.c where they can be optimized out with a
> -DNO_MATHOMS when compiling.
>
> Steve

I say remove them. They are not risky. You can't support blackpan users
who will never say anything publicly about their intention to use those
vars/apis, and they will never request api stability. They also won't be
upgrading perl either (cost/time, corporate requirements, etc) if they
can't afford to ask about apis.