develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2012

Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
November 25, 2012 19:52
Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?
Message ID:
50B2E787.50501@iki.fi
On Sunday-201211-25 22:38, George Greer wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>
>> Hi, I wonder if any one the numerous Perl smokes is building with
>> -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT, or even more hardcore,
>> -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE?  They were originally conceived for the
>> Symbian port, they hide/remove all global data symbols (global
>> variables), turning the embeddability to eleven and twelve, if you
>> will.  (If compile barfs, needs more dVAR: see perlguts for more
>> information.)
>
> I recently added PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (and PERL_OLD_COPY_ON_WRITE) to my
> non-quick smokers but I just thought of a way to add
> PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE too without causing too much extra build time
> so I'll do that too.

Thanks!  (And to Tony Cook, too.)