develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2012

Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or-DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
November 25, 2012 14:45
Re: perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or-DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?
Message ID:
20121125224501.GA21886@mars.tony.develop-help.com
On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 09:44:19AM -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> Hi, I wonder if any one the numerous Perl smokes is building with
> -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT, or even more hardcore,
> -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE?  They were originally conceived for the
> Symbian port, they hide/remove all global data symbols (global
> variables), turning the embeddability to eleven and twelve, if you
> will.  (If compile barfs, needs more dVAR: see perlguts for more
> information.)
>
> The Symbian port is of course of dubious value any more, and probably
> does not work any more for any of the more recent Symbian releases,
> but I think trying to keep this ultimate embeddability option alive
> would be good.  (Similarly, checking what "nm libperl.a | grep -v '
> [TURtr] '" says once in a while is good hygiene.)

I smoke with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT occasionally.

(My smoker prioritizes blead/maint/smoke-me smokes with a default
config, -DPERL_GLOBAL struct is in one of the alternative configs
that's smoked when those are all done.)

It picked up some problems recently, see c2587955 and 77c1c05b.

Tony