develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2012

Re: commit "Request is_utf8_char_slow() be inlined" has no message

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
November 25, 2012 07:19
Re: commit "Request is_utf8_char_slow() be inlined" has no message
Message ID:
50B236EB.9030607@khwilliamson.com
On 11/25/2012 07:30 AM, bulk88 wrote:
> http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/7af276bcacd71d557a403b1d416e975ea139994c
> why? There is no commit message. How did you come to that decision?

I did not expand on the commit's subject line, because when it came to
write it, I couldn't think of anything that wasn't effectively just a
repeat of the subject line.

Perhaps I made the wrong decision.  In looking at it today, I think I
could have added the adjective "wrapper function" to it to make it clear
that there is no real meat in the to-be-inlined function.

I presumed that the audience would know that inlining speeds things up
by avoiding function call overhead, and hence in general is a "good"
thing.  And I presumed that they knew that the downside of inlining is
expansion of the memory occupied by the program.  And so, it would have
been better to alleviate that concern by mentioning that the affected
function is just a wrapper, and hence its inlining doesn't appreciably
change the size of the code.