develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2012

perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
November 25, 2012 06:44
Subject:
perl smokes with -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT (or -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE)?
Message ID:
CAJueppufGXPZe3oeiLDqk2ebTM+3Uo-opphjMrmzBOVyKX-m9g@mail.gmail.com
Hi, I wonder if any one the numerous Perl smokes is building with
-DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT, or even more hardcore,
-DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE?  They were originally conceived for the
Symbian port, they hide/remove all global data symbols (global
variables), turning the embeddability to eleven and twelve, if you
will.  (If compile barfs, needs more dVAR: see perlguts for more
information.)

The Symbian port is of course of dubious value any more, and probably
does not work any more for any of the more recent Symbian releases,
but I think trying to keep this ultimate embeddability option alive
would be good.  (Similarly, checking what "nm libperl.a | grep -v '
[TURtr] '" says once in a while is good hygiene.)

--
There is this special biologist word we use for 'stable'. It is
'dead'. -- Jack Cohen