develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2012

Re: Perl 5.12.5 is now available

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
November 10, 2012 19:09
Re: Perl 5.12.5 is now available
Message ID:
20121111030939.GA31001@cancer.codesimply.com
* Alexander Hartmaier <alex.hartmaier@gmail.com> [2012-11-10T20:22:18]
> Thanks Dominic, but why did Perl ship again with development versions of
> two modules, Encode and File::Glob?
> I thought it was agreed on that this causes problems in the toolchain and
> will be avoided in the future.

No, the problem is when the latest stable release of perl ships with a dev
version of module M later than the latest stable release of M.

For example, EU::MM 1.23_01 gets bundled with 5.16.0, but only 1.22 is live on
the CPAN.  This means anyone requiring 1.23_01 is demanding code that can't be
found in the CPAN index.

The use of _0x versions in maint releases to introduce small security or
buildability fixes in maint-point releases is longstanding and not problematic.

> Was the version bumped because it is 2.39 with just the security fix which
> was already present in 2.40 and up?
> If yes why does it include an underscore which normally indicates a
> development version?

I have not investiagted specifically, and I'm about to crash, but almost
certainly:  (1) it's as you say and (2) the _01 here is just to get a number
between 2.39 and 2.40 while indicating, "this 'release' is unusual."  The
question of CPAN indexing is not relevant.

--
rjbs