Why are some length-type variables declared I32?

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
October 31, 2012 10:29
Subject:
Why are some length-type variables declared I32?
Message ID:
50915FEF.3040101@khwilliamson.com
For example,

Perl_my_bcopy(register const char *from,register char *to,register I32 len)

is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for bcopy(), but bcopy's len
parameter on my Linux is size_t.

There is a report on IRC in which 5.14.2 Perl_savepvn() is being called
with a negative <len>, after several hours of processing.

It seems to me that we should have asserts at least, as there is enough
memory now available on some  machines so that you don't necessarily get
an ENOMEM when fulfilling such a request