Re: Eliminating the "rehash" mechanism for 5.18

From:
Peter Rabbitson
Date:
October 30, 2012 08:19
Re: Eliminating the "rehash" mechanism for 5.18
Message ID:
20121030151905.GB22999@rabbit.us
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 06:55:21PM +0100, demerphq wrote:
> I propose that in 5.18 we should finally take the plunge and switch to
> a fully randomized hash seed and eliminate the rehash mechanism.  I
> have patches which do this ready, and for  the cpan/ modules involved
> I have pushed patches upstream to get the hash order dependencies
> removed.

Is it already possible to set a series* of CPAN smoke runs to judge the
overall impact? I think the amount of bugs this will uncover will
overwhelmingly sway the opinion to "gah, we need this to happen,
yesterday"

Cheers

* Why do I say series - most tests deal with relatively small datasets.
A hash with 3 elements has very few permutations of its keylist.
Therefore a single CPAN smoke may end up satisfying many tests by virtue
of simply returning keys in the same order as perls 5.8.2 ~ 5.16.1