'make test_prep' and 'make test_harness'

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
October 29, 2012 15:14
Subject:
'make test_prep' and 'make test_harness'
Message ID:
20121029221400.4688.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
 From past experience I know that once you have compiled the perl
executable with 'make', you are not quite ready to start running tests.
  You have to call 'make test_prep', whether implicitly -- as when you
call 'make test' -- or explicitly because you want to run individual tests.

On a slower machine, 'make test_prep' can take a couple of minutes to
run.  Among other things, it has to do a 'make' on all the modules which
are part of core:

$ make test_prep
./miniperl -Ilib make_ext.pl cpan/Archive-Extract/pm_to_blib MAKE=make
LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
         Making Archive::Extract (all)
Making all in cpan/Archive-Extract
  make all PERL_CORE=1 LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
./miniperl -Ilib make_ext.pl cpan/Archive-Tar/pm_to_blib MAKE=make
LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
         Making Archive::Tar (all)
Making all in cpan/Archive-Tar
  make all PERL_CORE=1 LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
./miniperl -Ilib make_ext.pl dist/Attribute-Handlers/pm_to_blib
MAKE=make LIBPERL_A=libperl.a

What I want to know is:  Once I've run 'make test_prep' why is it re-run
when I call 'make test_harness' as a distinct process?

$ make test_harness
./miniperl -Ilib make_ext.pl cpan/Archive-Extract/pm_to_blib MAKE=make
LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
         Making Archive::Extract (all)
Making all in cpan/Archive-Extract
  make all PERL_CORE=1 LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
./miniperl -Ilib make_ext.pl cpan/Archive-Tar/pm_to_blib MAKE=make
LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
         Making Archive::Tar (all)
Making all in cpan/Archive-Tar
  make all PERL_CORE=1 LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
./miniperl -Ilib make_ext.pl dist/Attribute-Handlers/pm_to_blib
MAKE=make LIBPERL_A=libperl.a

Why can't these testing targets determine that 'make test_prep' has
already been run?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan