Re: What happened to the whole "small core" idea?

From:
Kent Fredric
Date:
October 28, 2012 06:15
Re: What happened to the whole "small core" idea?
Message ID:
CAATnKFBGaWXSUXvrh32nvWKjQgVQZhO_4UALiwHTq25y4Df1GA@mail.gmail.com
On 29 October 2012 02:06, Paul LeoNerd Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> When _ONE_ standard set of semantics makes its way out among all the
> others, as being the one the _community_ wants, that is the time I feel
> would be right for p5p to look into it.

+1

Indeed, there a quite a number of modules on CPAN that do something in
this regard, but none are really forthcomming enough to be deemed an
acceptable measure of "standard", and until such a time as an
implementation surfaces that is good enough to gain some amount of
attention , the idea of thrusting it towards end users as a finished
product is just going to result in misery.

Granted some features may be hard to implement on CPAN side,
particularly the "caller side stricutures" part, but I think we should
be extending core by adding hooks to enable this behaviour, not simply
pushing the behaviour itself wholesale into core.

Of course, I get the impression this is exactly what p5p are going to
do anyway, Just the lack of an organised "roadmap" sort of muddies how
people perceive the progress of feature development.

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"