Re: Shouldn't \N{unknown name} be a syntax error?

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
October 24, 2012 10:06
Re: Shouldn't \N{unknown name} be a syntax error?
Message ID:
50881FC9.6010903@khwilliamson.com
On 09/10/2012 09:35 AM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> * Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> [2012-09-09T19:00:59]
>> And now, Unicode has revised their advice on regular expressions and
>> they now say the same thing:
>>
>> "The \N syntax should instead cause a syntax error for an undefined name"
>>
>> http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr18/#Individually_Named_Characters
>
> I think doing the above is sane at least to try.  Would it be enough to make
> the existing warning fatal and smoke the CPAN to see what the first few
> canaries, if any are?

The smoke showed only a semi-canary.  That was Encode-JP-Mobile-0.29.
It deliberately has a test in a .t that looked to verify that this
situation caused a warning and didn't just do something silently.

I submitted a patch for it, which is now included in the latest CPAN
release.

So, I have pushed to blead the change proposed above.