RE: status of WinCE Perl port in 2012

From:
vadim.konovalov
Date:
October 23, 2012 05:28
RE: status of WinCE Perl port in 2012
Message ID:
35BF8D9716175C43BB9D67CA60CC345E028EE0C899@FRMRSSXCHMBSC2.dc-m.alcatel-lucent.com
Hi,

> From: Konovalov, Vadim
> > From: Steve Hay

> > That gives people about 7 months rather than 1 to find
> > someone actively
> > using and willing to support it. I'd like to have seen it
> gone sooner,
> > personally, but indeed I can't think of anything special
> about WinCE's
> > case to warrant treating it differently to other OSes that we're
> > removing support for.
>
> good. I'll have a closer look into the port.

it appears that a build for pocketpc is doable, after attached patch
and some manual file copy you get workable binary.
(i.e. attached patch is incomplete but it is a 1st step)

I would ask for the patch to be applied, further patches and clean
build will follow.

In a support of windows mobile - latest compilers from microsoft
do suffer of a problem that getting current workable cross-compiler
is a problem. (for example you get C# or VB instand of C, latest
crosscompiler requires W7 to be installed, etc)

Cross-compiler chain is still available for 3.00, 4.00, 4.20 and 5.00
versions, which are somewhat fine, anyway READMEs should
reflect recent state, e.g. "celib" isn't available on the mentioned URLs

Larger goal is to get rid of "celib" - which appears to be totally
bitrotten...

All in all, now I confirm usefulness of a port and do promise to
provide stable build of it, including binaries, including perl+tcltk.

Regards,
Vadim.