Re: Pull request CPAN-1.99_51

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 19, 2012 07:34
Re: Pull request CPAN-1.99_51
Message ID:
CA+vYcVwxoC2W_=MqOoy5c0rNcBvsOvJXjad9cx+3o=rYuRLQTA@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM, David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The only TODO I'm aware of is that the heuristic to find external
>> utilities during configuration isn't working.  It means you will
>> always fall back to Archive::Tar for tar.gz distributions and you will
>> need to configure an unzip program for .zip distributions.
>
> If Archive::Zip can be installed, does that work?

I haven't tried it but I don't see why not.  IO::Compress::Zip is
already there and passes its tests.  But Info-Zip works well and is
widely deployed on VMS and has been the preferred archive format for
distributing free software since before fancy new terms like "open
source" were invented.

The basic problem with identifying external utilities for CPAN.pm is
that CPAN::FirstTime::find_exe() wants to locate them in various
well-known paths.  Not only are the well-known paths different on VMS,
it's always been trivially easy to define commands for programs
located in paths that are not so well-known.  The only reliable way to
see if you can run a particular command is by trying to run it, such
as with IPC::CMD::can_run():

http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/cpan/IPC-Cmd/lib/IPC/Cmd.pm#l185

> From time to time, I wonder whether bringing Archive::Zip into core
> would be handy.