Re: Pull request CPAN-1.99_51

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 18, 2012 12:46
Re: Pull request CPAN-1.99_51
Message ID:
CA+vYcVxrz5MicyPY7hyvriVpziZpmB2+mX=1hSg6pf10ejT4bQ@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> wrote:
> * Andreas Koenig <andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de> [2012-10-18 21:10]:
>> With gratitude and delight I have received the patches from Craig
>> Berry getting CPAN.pm for VMS going.
>
> Are there large todos left or is this already expected to be done
> (modulo unspotted bugs of course)?

The only TODO I'm aware of is that the heuristic to find external
utilities during configuration isn't working.  It means you will
always fall back to Archive::Tar for tar.gz distributions and you will
need to configure an unzip program for .zip distributions.  Those are
minor gotchas with good workarounds, so it seemed like a good time to
move forward and leave this for later.  There various can_run()
facilities in other modules that might be invoked or borrowed if I get
around to looking at this again.

I've successfully installed both XS and pure-Perl modules, modules
that use MakeMaker, and modules that use Module::Build, so I think
we're in pretty good shape.  There are of course a lot of modules on
CPAN that don't work (or at least won't build) on VMS for various
reasons having nothing to do with the cpan client, but there are a lot
that work just fine and there is now another good way to get them.