Re: Compile option to disable taint mode: speedup

From:
David Golden
Date:
October 10, 2012 11:52
Re: Compile option to disable taint mode: speedup
Message ID:
CAOeq1c8-7g__bsaycYWGC92LXuwA_U6q+AzonaHY=wazaHO2vg@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> wrote:
> That's actually a fair point. It should probably go into %Config. I'm
> assuming that falls naturally out of Configure/metaconfig changes?

AFAICT

>> Yes, some CPAN code will break and eventually people who care will fix
>> their tests for the possibility of a taint-removed Perl.
>
> I partially agree. I'd still prefer to have the "I really know what I am
> doing and I want -t/-T to silently become noops" back-door.

The nasty bit will be exception testing code that checks that
something fails a taint check.

>> We had similar issues as 64 bit architectures became common.  ok($num1
>> == $num2) tests were failing due to decimal point precision.
>
> That's actually simply a bug in the test. This change wouldn't be.

In the end, a failure is a failure and inconveniences the user the
same way.  My point is that platform changes happen, surprise people,
and then (mostly) get fixed.

David

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me>