Re: Compile option to disable taint mode: speedup

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
October 10, 2012 10:32
Re: Compile option to disable taint mode: speedup
Message ID:
5075B107.5090502@cpan.org
On 10/10/2012 12:30 PM, David Golden wrote:
> It's not really very messy at all.  It would be in %Config, which is
> how we check for threads support today.

That's actually a fair point. It should probably go into %Config. I'm
assuming that falls naturally out of Configure/metaconfig changes?

> Yes, some CPAN code will break and eventually people who care will fix
> their tests for the possibility of a taint-removed Perl.

I partially agree. I'd still prefer to have the "I really know what I am
doing and I want -t/-T to silently become noops" back-door.

> We had similar issues as 64 bit architectures became common.  ok($num1
> == $num2) tests were failing due to decimal point precision.

That's actually simply a bug in the test. This change wouldn't be.

> Let's not worry *too* much about CPAN.  If a taint-disabled perl were
> available, CPAN Testers would start smoking with it, and we'd have
> very good visibility into what breaks and doesn't that authors can use
> to fix their stuff (if they care) and users can use to decide if they
> want to run taint-disabled or not.
>
> Configuration-determined behaviors should have a *much* lower bar for
> compatibility because acceptance of breakage is entirely the
> end-users' choice.

Agreed.

--Steffen