Re: Compile option to disable taint mode: speedup

From:
Greg Lindahl
Date:
October 9, 2012 15:04
Re: Compile option to disable taint mode: speedup
Message ID:
20121009220435.GE19426@bx9.net
On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:29:45PM +0200, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Vincent Pit <perl@profvince.com> wrote:
> > Note that disabling taint mode would make it very difficult to install many
> > modules from the CPAN, as a lot of tests are run in taint mode (it was
> > considered "good practice" some time ago).
>
> You could conditionally ignore that on a TAP::Harness level.

If we're going to say that disabling taint works, someone should
figure out a way to smoke it, and then smoke every release with taint
disabled. Friends don't encourage friends to use unsmoked features!

This is the cost of turning this from an experiment into something
people will regularly use.

We'd be willing to help out, but I'm not sure if we're up to smoking
CPAN on a regular basis.

-- greg