Re: Compile option to disable taint mode: speedup

From:
David Golden
Date:
October 9, 2012 09:40
Re: Compile option to disable taint mode: speedup
Message ID:
CAOeq1c_DwgkQOu9PYth9y0yWuR6R--YT8nR_Ko2KhyvcXhZQnw@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> wrote:

> - Right now, I added a Perl warn() on startup when -t/-T are detected
>   but the perl was not compiled support it. It might be argued that it
>   should be silently ignored! Needs some thinking. You could argue
>   that perl should just throw an exception on -T/-t without support for
>   it. For the tests, it would be kind of convenient to be able to just
>   silently ignore -t/-T and then skip running the tests.

My quick reaction is that I'd want one or both of these behaviors:

(1) -t warns on taint-disabled-perl and -T is fatal on taint-disabled-perl

(2) Some run switch that overrides/ignores -t/-T the way -X does for
warnings.  It's a creative stretch but -U (unsafe) could serve if
we're out of letters or don't want to add another.

What I was thinking was that some CPAN code has tests with '-t' in the
shebang then you'd still want to be able to attempt to those tests and
install modules.  If you could ignore -t or disable with a flag in
PERL5OPT, then CPAN isn't as broken for a perl with taint mode turned
off.

Otherwise, great idea!  I really like the idea of compile-time options
that let people make their own optimization tradeoffs.

David

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me>
Twitter/IRC: @xdg