Re: Security Issues in perl-5.16.x

From:
David Golden
Date:
October 2, 2012 16:45
Re: Security Issues in perl-5.16.x
Message ID:
CAOeq1c82+z1qHJ3GrY+ZsvccM98o-pTsOtuMoS9FDidvabqYEg@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Chip Salzenberg <rev.chip@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net> wrote:
>> The point that Chip is making is: how would you propose stopping package
>> names from containing nulls?
>
> Indeed.  And with a large side order of why.

However, if we had originally disallowed them, how would we react to a
proposal to allow them?  I suspect the answer is "with great
skepticism".

Historical accident is a weak justification for a particular design.
The response "changing it now is too much work/too risky" could be a
fair justification for status quo, but I haven't heard that
convincingly yet.

David

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me>