Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 1, 2012 05:05
Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
CA+vYcVy_+uufsO-i-hDhfxCSo7dxiQ2Q4kSd0beOWXJ=NJRUHg@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 5:44 AM, David Cantrell <david@cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 03:06:15PM -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Andreas Koenig
>> <andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de> wrote:

>> Mostly it has to do with different expectations
>> about legal pathnames and how pathnames get pasted together from their
>> components, components that are often obtained by splitting apart
>> pathnames.
>
> File::Spec has been in core since forever, and I note a load of entries
> in the CPAN version's Changes file from Craig, all about VMS.
> And there are *lots* of mentions of File::Spec in current CPAN.pm.
> Craig, have you tried a recent version on VMS?

Yes, I'm very familiar with using File::Spec and it can be made to do
the right thing with enough testing on all of Unix, Windows, and VMS.
It's not magic and isn't always the best thing to use.

Note that I never said CPAN can't be ported, just that it hasn't been
done and since the arrival of CPANPLUS hasn't been a priority.