Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
David Cantrell
Date:
October 1, 2012 03:44
Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
20121001104442.GB23278@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 03:06:15PM -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Andreas Koenig
> <andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de> wrote:
> > "Craig A. Berry" <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> writes:
> >> CPAN has never worked on VMS. CPANPLUS didn't either when it
> >> first came into core, but several of us put a lot of effort
> >> into making it work
> > Is this story documented? What kind of effort was needed?
> Rafael probably has a few gray hairs proving that it happened as I
> believe it was one of the things that held up 5.10.0.  The details
> would be in version control history or by grepping for 'VMS' in the
> CPANPLUS sources.  Mostly it has to do with different expectations
> about legal pathnames and how pathnames get pasted together from their
> components, components that are often obtained by splitting apart
> pathnames.

File::Spec has been in core since forever, and I note a load of entries
in the CPAN version's Changes file from Craig, all about VMS.
And there are *lots* of mentions of File::Spec in current CPAN.pm.
Craig, have you tried a recent version on VMS?

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

  engineer: n. one who, regardless of how much effort he puts in
    to a job, will never satisfy either the suits or the scientists