CPAN.pm on VMS: (was Re: [Round 2] Taking CPANPLUS out of core)

From:
David Golden
Date:
September 30, 2012 17:59
Subject:
CPAN.pm on VMS: (was Re: [Round 2] Taking CPANPLUS out of core)
Message ID:
CAOeq1c9iV0QPeF4cXwcGh4tMjHKG9yHy9eqN=PPjkvdybNabDg@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Craig A. Berry
<craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:

> And note that I do have write access to the Perl library directories,
> in this case on two counts: I'm the owner of them and I'm also running
> with privileges that give me write access to everything.  So whatever
> it's doing to detect that is simply wrong in this environment, and
> there are probably many such portability gotchas.

Hi, Craig.  It's doing this:

  sub _can_write_to_libdirs {
      return -w $Config{installprivlib}
          && -w $Config{installarchlib}
          && -w $Config{installsitelib}
          && -w $Config{installsitearch}
  }

Do some of those just wind up undefined on VMS?

I'm happy to try to help debug/fix CPAN.pm on VMS, even if that's just
to skip the kind of tricky help (like boostrapping local::lib) that
works on Unix, but I definitely would need more help figuring out the
variances.

The "can't create" appears to be a failure of File::Path::mkpath on
the path shown in the error ("d0:[craig]/.cpan").  Clearly, the loop
should bail out if there's a problem and that's poor.  Where the
directory comes from is tricky, but my guess is that it's just
effectively "$ENV{HOME}/.cpan".  (And, yes, I found a hardcoded "/"
join rather than File::Spec.  Not sure if that matters.)

David

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me>
Twitter/IRC: @xdg