Re: Module API

From:
demerphq
Date:
September 30, 2012 14:01
Re: Module API
Message ID:
CANgJU+Wsq348boV3krvPtWf57DjEFiMGWfrVpURraPiRCG0Txw@mail.gmail.com
[resending on list]
On 30 September 2012 20:20, Johan Vromans <jvromans@squirrel.nl> wrote:
> demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So propose one. What does the api look like?
>
> I'm not very familiar with Perl internals in this aream, but years of
> experience with fiddling with modules tells me things as:

I didn't mention internals for a reason, an API should be independent
of the internals.

>   - build file name from module name
>   - build module name relative to another module name
>   - load a module by name
>   - load a module from file
>   - unload a module
>   - check if a module has been loaded
>   - locate module files from a module name (for plug-ins)

But this isn't an API. An API is a formal specification of an
interface. In other words what subroutines the API provides, what
arguments those routines require and what the return expectations are
of those routines.

You have provided a wish list of things you want an API to provide,
which is fine at a certain level but insufficiently detailed for
people to really debate the merits of the API.

Cheers,
yves