Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
September 30, 2012 13:06
Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
CA+vYcVzKHNCLrwaV5e4QW6Wunaccm71rJbGdmh9QV=djAPHfmA@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Andreas Koenig
<andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de> wrote:
> "Craig A. Berry" <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> CPAN has never worked on VMS.
>
> Bug reports welcome!

Thanks for the offer.  I may take a look at some point, but as I
mentioned elsewhere, it's a distraction from other things that are
even more in need of doing.

>> CPANPLUS didn't either
>> when it first came into core, but several of us put a lot of effort
>> into making it work
>
> Is this story documented? What kind of effort was needed?

Rafael probably has a few gray hairs proving that it happened as I
believe it was one of the things that held up 5.10.0.  The details
would be in version control history or by grepping for 'VMS' in the
CPANPLUS sources.  Mostly it has to do with different expectations
about legal pathnames and how pathnames get pasted together from their
components, components that are often obtained by splitting apart
pathnames.