Re: [Round 2] Taking CPANPLUS out of core

Sawyer X
September 30, 2012 12:13
Re: [Round 2] Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
On 09/30/2012 03:42 PM, demerphq wrote:
> On 30 September 2012 15:29, Sawyer X <> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> this is the second round of deliberations on the subject of CPANPLUS. There
>> were many comments in the original thread and as usual the discussion also
>> spiraled into several sub-threads on different topics. I don't want to miss
>> either and I don't want the subject to get stale so I've starting a new
>> thread with the summaries I've gathered. I hope that's okay.
>> vs. CPANPLUS on VMS:
>> A raised issue was that doesn't work right on VMS, which is why
>> CPANPLUS is used. Is really broken on VMS?
> Im sure it is just an artifact of how you worded this, but it sure
> sounds like you doubt Craig's word on this, which doesnt make sense to
> me. I think you can assume if he says its broken that it is broken.
I don't know Craig nor have any negative opinion of him. I didn't mean
to imply he's lying, misleading, exaggerating or anything of the sort.
Craig, I apologize if you got that impression as well.

I do, however, want to be sure that everything is validated. For
example, it could be that since Craig uses CPANPLUS, he hasn't used CPAN
in a while and hasn't noticed or substantiated if it is still unusable.
This says nothing bad about Craig or his character. I just want to Make
Sure(tm). I hope no one was or is offended by this.

And as it shows, it was very easy for Craig to double-check and
substantiate it. Now we can discuss without any doubt whether removing
CPANPLUS and stopping support for VMS in that regard (or go into fixing
CPAN for VMS) is what we want to do.