Re: [Round 2] Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
Jesse Luehrs
Date:
September 30, 2012 11:54
Re: [Round 2] Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
20120930185428.GP11137@tozt.net
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:43:45AM -0500, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012, Craig A. Berry wrote:
>
> >better, that's the one I favor (e.g., I'd be happy to see us admit
> >that Module::Build has failed to supplant MakeMaker and remove it from
> >core).  In the particular case of CPAN/CPANPLUS, the latter is the one
>
> Not to drag us too off-topic (again), but this can (probably) never
> happen. As long as Module::Build is used by modules on CPAN,
> shipping it in the core is a very good thing. At a minimum, the core
> needs to ship with all the modules needed to install more modules
> off of CPAN,

Core supports configure_requires these days, so there's no reason why
Module::Build needs to actually be in core. But yeah, whether it
*should* be is a topic for a different thread.

-doy