Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
Chris 'BinGOs' Williams
Date:
September 29, 2012 13:46
Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
20120929204640.GA13297@klanker.bingosnet.co.uk
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 01:29:04PM -0400, David Golden wrote:
<snip>

> I favor keeping IPC::Cmd, if only for "can_run", which again provides
> a nice platform-agnostic abstraction to something complex that is easy
> to get wrong.  I think the rest of IPC::Cmd is dubious and only works
> as promised with IPC::Run and with platform limitations. I wouldn't
> cry if it were replaced with an IPC::Cmd::Tiny with only the "can_run"
> function, though that's again a lot of churn for no real benefit other
> than "purity" of core.

run() has not relied on IPC::Run on MSWin32 since version 0.72, when
I got buffer capturing to finally work with IPC::Open3 on MSWin32.

In fact even if IPC::Run is installed it won't be used on MSWin32. I
found IPC::Run to be hit and miss in it deciding to actually work on
MSWin32 (for my purposes which was capturing test results whilst
installing dists).

This isn't an argument for inclusion by the way. I just wanted to point
out that it no longer relies on IPC::Run for any functionality that it
already provides portably itself.

Cheers,

--
Chris Williams