Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
September 29, 2012 09:27
Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
5067216C.9090800@gmail.com

On 09/29/2012 05:19 PM, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Ricardo Signes
> <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
>
>> 1. Do we want to go ahead with the only-lightly-discussd removal of CPANPLUS
>> from core?
>>
>> I think so.  I had talked to a few people I thought might dissent, in the past,
>> and didn't get much objection.  I may have misread them, though, and I really
>> only talked to a small group.  We should find out if there is a strong reason
>> *not* to do this *at all*.
> Responding to rjbs's comment from his private todo, which says:
>
> "CPANPLUS did not replace CPAN.pm as the CPAN client of choice."
>
> Looking only at the tests in the base modules, CPAN has 251 lines of
> code in 5 test scripts whereas CPANPLUS has 3797 lines of code in 18
> test scripts.  That's 15 times as much testing.
Number of tests script don't infer how long they are, nor how much they
cover. Also, CPAN and CPANPLUS have different amounts of code, so they
cannot be compared with number of tests, but with how much of that code
is actually covered.

I just don't think that's an accurate measurement for either direction.
I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out CPANPLUS is indeed more
thoroughly tested.

> I know "one person uses it" is not significantly different from "no
> one uses it" but I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.
Thank you for doing so. This is exactly what I had hoped would happen! :)
S.