Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
September 29, 2012 09:19
Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
50671F87.5010509@gmail.com
On 09/29/2012 02:53 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> * Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> [2012-09-29T07:25:40]
>> To find out what can be moved out of core along with CPANPLUS, I ran
>> a recursive dependency analysis using MetaCPAN via MetaCPAN::API (I
>> might add this tool to core if people find it useful) to find what
>> modules it uses in core, and then a reverse dependency analysis to
>> find who uses those modules. That's a mouthful.
> Thanks.  I know this was a bunch of work, and I really appreciate your tackling
> it!
No worries. I have learned from it, mostly on how to do it more easily
in the future. :)

> The next questions are:
>
> 1. Do we want to go ahead with the only-lightly-discussd removal of CPANPLUS
> from core?
>
> I think so.  I had talked to a few people I thought might dissent, in the past,
> and didn't get much objection.  I may have misread them, though, and I really
> only talked to a small group.  We should find out if there is a strong reason
> *not* to do this *at all*.
I agree. I hope this thread will get enough discussion (pro and con) in
order to help decide this.

> 2. If we're going to remove CPANPLUS from core, which of its prerequisites
> might we keep anyway?
>
> On IRC, David Golden mentioned that Archive::Extract is a big boon for CPAN.pm
> and that he'd like us to keep it.
I've actually mentioned the impact of Archive::Extract on CPAN.pm both
in the original mail and responding to David on IRC. The only place
CPAN.pm uses Archive::Extract is for the gitify() functionality and it's
under eval(require()), which means CPAN.pm *itself* doesn't see
Archive::Extract as necessarily available.

> What else?  Anything?
David Golden mentioned he would enjoy having IPC::Cmd still available in
core, though I've found nothing that uses it.