Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
September 29, 2012 09:01
Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
20120929180127.78d8a180@pc09.procura.nl
On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:19:10 -0500, "Craig A. Berry"
<craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Ricardo Signes
> <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
>
> > 1. Do we want to go ahead with the only-lightly-discussd removal of CPANPLUS
> > from core?
> >
> > I think so.  I had talked to a few people I thought might dissent, in the past,
> > and didn't get much objection.  I may have misread them, though, and I really
> > only talked to a small group.  We should find out if there is a strong reason
> > *not* to do this *at all*.
>
> Responding to rjbs's comment from his private todo, which says:
>
> "CPANPLUS did not replace CPAN.pm as the CPAN client of choice."
>
> It did for me.  CPAN has never worked on VMS.  CPANPLUS didn't either
> when it first came into core, but several of us put a lot of effort
> into making it work, and because its test coverage is massively better
> than CPAN's, it was relatively easy to see what was wrong and fix it.
> Looking only at the tests in the base modules, CPAN has 251 lines of
> code in 5 test scripts whereas CPANPLUS has 3797 lines of code in 18
> test scripts.  That's 15 times as much testing.
>
> I know "one person uses it" is not significantly different from "no
> one uses it" but I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

Having CPANPLUS on CPAN will be enough for you (and other CPANPLUS
users or does it need to be in CORE?

I mean, DBI is *the* module of choice for me to work with perl, but I
have no need for it to be in CORE. Not that I can do /any/ work done at
all (for $work) without it, but installing it from CPAN is (very) easy.

Same for other basic modules like Text::CSV_XS. Conincidently both are
XS, wheareas IIRC CPANPLUS is not.

I am all in favour of dropping CPANPLUS from core. While at it, CGI
should also go (from CORE).

"One person uses it" is by no means a reason to keep it in core. One
people using it *and* it is almost impossible to add later (or one
NEEDs it to install other stuff) /is/ a (good) reason to keep it. In
the current time(s), including (more) (de)compression modules should be
more useful, now that .gz, and .bz2 get more and more replaced with .xz
(not on CPAN, but in many other archives).

using perl5.00307 .. 5.17   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE