Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
September 29, 2012 08:19
Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
CA+vYcVzonLEFEznzAyPrEZuQkrvXwCVFsFUJ0iR2GkA_Kbi8Tw@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Ricardo Signes
<perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> 1. Do we want to go ahead with the only-lightly-discussd removal of CPANPLUS
> from core?
>
> I think so.  I had talked to a few people I thought might dissent, in the past,
> and didn't get much objection.  I may have misread them, though, and I really
> only talked to a small group.  We should find out if there is a strong reason
> *not* to do this *at all*.

Responding to rjbs's comment from his private todo, which says:

"CPANPLUS did not replace CPAN.pm as the CPAN client of choice."

It did for me.  CPAN has never worked on VMS.  CPANPLUS didn't either
when it first came into core, but several of us put a lot of effort
into making it work, and because its test coverage is massively better
than CPAN's, it was relatively easy to see what was wrong and fix it.
Looking only at the tests in the base modules, CPAN has 251 lines of
code in 5 test scripts whereas CPANPLUS has 3797 lines of code in 18
test scripts.  That's 15 times as much testing.

I know "one person uses it" is not significantly different from "no
one uses it" but I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.