Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
September 29, 2012 05:53
Re: Taking CPANPLUS out of core
Message ID:
20120929125328.GA21886@cancer.codesimply.com
* Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> [2012-09-29T07:25:40]
> To find out what can be moved out of core along with CPANPLUS, I ran
> a recursive dependency analysis using MetaCPAN via MetaCPAN::API (I
> might add this tool to core if people find it useful) to find what
> modules it uses in core, and then a reverse dependency analysis to
> find who uses those modules. That's a mouthful.

Thanks.  I know this was a bunch of work, and I really appreciate your tackling
it!

The next questions are:

1. Do we want to go ahead with the only-lightly-discussd removal of CPANPLUS
from core?

I think so.  I had talked to a few people I thought might dissent, in the past,
and didn't get much objection.  I may have misread them, though, and I really
only talked to a small group.  We should find out if there is a strong reason
*not* to do this *at all*.

2. If we're going to remove CPANPLUS from core, which of its prerequisites
might we keep anyway?

On IRC, David Golden mentioned that Archive::Extract is a big boon for CPAN.pm
and that he'd like us to keep it.

What else?  Anything?

--
rjbs