Remove export of setuid/setgid from perl5XX.dll on Windows?

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
September 28, 2012 01:24
Subject:
Remove export of setuid/setgid from perl5XX.dll on Windows?
Message ID:
1B32FF956ABF414C9BCE5E487A1497E70E743B0A@ukmail02.planit.group
The question was raised in discussions on [perl #114516] why we export
(our dummy stub versions of) setuid and setgid from perl5XX.dll on
Windows.

The exports were added back in Nov 2000 by change e601c439ad (Get PerlIO
building on Win32), but there was no detail given on why their addition
was necessary.

I've tried building without them exported (and with their declarations
accordingly moved within a #ifdef PERL_CORE ... #endif) and have not
found any problems using VC++ 2010 or MinGW/gcc-4.7.0, with or without
PERL_IMPLICIT_SYS defined. I've also tried installing those builds and
then building a selection of CPAN modules (some Win32::, some not) and
still haven't found any problems.

Does anyone know why they should still be exported, or would it be
sensible to remove them as exports?