[perl #19213] BUG require filename on windows broken

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 27, 2012 18:47
Subject:
[perl #19213] BUG require filename on windows broken
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1348796859-533.19213-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Dec 17 06:34:13 2002, kane@ns1.biocede.com wrote:
> I found the following bug when using require:
>

> use File::Spec;
> my $file = File::Spec->catfile("GetOpt", "Long.pm");
> require $file;
>
> now, the entry in %INC will be:
> 'GetOpt\\Long.pm' => 'C:/Perl/lib/GetOpt\\Long.pm',
>
> usually, that's not so bad, as it merely means that GetOpt::Long would be
> required for a second time, if it were called as such:
>
> require GetOpt::Long;
>
> ie, %INC would hold:
> 'GetOpt/Long.pm' => 'C:/Perl/lib/GetOpt/Long.pm',
> 'GetOpt\\Long.pm' => 'C:/Perl/lib/GetOpt\\Long.pm',
>
> But, when you do this with IPC::Run (where one of the submodules goes and
> require's IPC::Run itself again), a core dump occurs.
>
> Since ActiveState didn't provide me with a debugging perl, i can't give
> more information right now, except my perl -V.
> I'm also not sure if this may have been fixed for 5.8, sicne i dont have a
> win32 machine with 5.8 right now =/
>
> -jos

> T:\tools>perl -V
> Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 6 subversion 1) configuration:
>   Platform:
>     osname=MSWin32, osvers=4.0, archname=MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
>     uname=''

This RT attracted comments from Chip and Gurusamy but has been
languishing for nearly ten years.  Is there anyone who would like to
review the issues discussed and make a recommendation?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open